RAMS-Summer Bridge is an 8-week summer mentorship program for youth ages 16 to 20, currently enrolled in or recently graduated from SFUSD high schools. Richmond Area Multi-Services, Inc. (RAMS) is collaborating with California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS). The program is funded by the Mental Health Services Act (MHSA).
Retreat at Fort Miley
Retreat at Fort Miley
Final project from Summer Bridge participant
What is the purpose of RAMS-Summer Bridge?
It is a mentorship program for youth from under-represented backgrounds who are interested in the field of psychology. Participants will learn some basics about counseling psychology, and will get the chance to explore many career possibilities in the helping profession. Participants will meet with therapists, social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, and more. Participants will attend weekly field trips within San Francisco. Participants will receive a stipend at completion of the program, during a graduation ceremony with friends and family.
Who can apply?
Youth ages 16 to 20 years old, currently enrolled in or recently graduated from SFUSD high schools, are invited to apply.
What will we do each week?
The program will meet from 6/09/15 – 7/30/15 on Tues/Weds/Thurs from 11am – 3pm. Each of the 8 weeks explores a specific theme, including Identity, Mental Health, Helping Professions, Education, Therapy, and Self Care. The main location is CIIS, 1453 Mission St (in SOMA). On Wednesdays, we will meet at a field trip location within San Francisco.
There are four major components:
- Meetings at CIIS – team-building activities, guest speakers, experiential activities, small discussion groups, and work on final project;
- Field trips – to community agencies, clinics, and colleges; including the Fort Miley Ropes Course, San Francisco State University, RAMS Child, Youth, and Family Outpatient Clinic, and Psychiatric Emergency Services
- Journal – weekly journal entries to reflect on the themes of the week
- Final Project – presentation on what you have learned from the program
What do we need to do to complete the program?
- Complete and submit application including two letters of reference
- Be selected by RAMS-Summer Bridge 2015 selection committee of Summer Bridge staff and Youth Council participants
- Participate in all activities/visits and complete/present final project
- Follow all rules and policies of RAMS-Summer Bridge 2015
What do we get out of this program?
- Meet professionals from different cultures, sometimes in real work situations
- Explore career options in psychology and the helping professions
- Experience different neighborhoods within San Francisco
- Learn more about yourself
- Meet other students with similar interests from high schools throughout the city
- Lunch provided each day
- Stipend upon completion of program